Acupunture for Fertility in North YorkRAc and ND practitioners available, direct billing offered for most extended health insurance plans
Adding Acupuncture to Your Fertility Journey
Our Toronto clinic has been helping people conceive since 2002. Our team of registered acupuncturists and naturopathic doctors have collectively treated thousands of ferility patients with acupuncture and traditional Chinese medicine (TCM). We offer direct insurance billing for most extended health plans.
Acupuncture can help increase fertility success as a main therapy to support natural conception or to improve success rates for IVF, IUI and ICSI.
Acupuncture is a part of traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) and is a powerful and gentle science-based treatment that has helped countless patients on their journey towards conceiving. It is a popular choice for patients seeking safe and natural treatment for infertility from a trusted professional. The fertility journey can be challenging, and much of this is managed privately by patients making it even more difficult. Fertility clinic visits are short and the entire process can be overwhelming. Regular visits with your acupuncturist can help manage stress, and provide additional support from a practitioner who understands fertility whether you are trying to conceive naturally or will be going through IUI or IVF cycles, including embryo transfer treatment.
White Lotus Clinic uses acupuncture to treat infertility in the following areas
We are here when you are ready
Acupuncture, infertility and women
Acupuncture and traditional Chinese medicine are theorized to improve women’s fertility by
- increasing blood flow and circulation to the uterus and ovaries
- improving follicle and egg development
- Reducing inflammation
- Increasing fertile mucous and relaxing the cervix
- Regulating ovulation, hormones and the menstrual cycle
- Improving blood flow to and the health of the endometrial lining
- Help decrease stress
Acupuncture can help with the following conditions affecting fertility
Many conditions can interfere with Fertility for women including:
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
- Lack of or Problems with Ovulation
- Low Progesterone and Luteal Phase Defect
- Diminished Ovarian Reserve and Premature Ovarian Insufficiency
- Autoimmune-Related Infertility
- Recurrent Miscarriages
- Implantation Failure
Other ways acupuncture is theorized to improve women’s fertility
Traditional Chinese medicine and acupuncture treatments have been shown to have many positive effects on stress and inflammation levels. It has impacts that can regulate the function of the autonomous nervous system and has even been found to improve glucose metabolism and insulin sensitivity throughout the body.
Where are the acupuncture points for fertility?
Acupuncture points for fertility vary depending on the case. Common acupuncture points for fertility are located on the lower abdomen and pelvis near the ovaries, around the ankles and lower legs, on the the arms. Ear acupuncture is sometimes used depending on the case.
Do you Have Questions or Just Want To Get Started?
Acupuncture, fertility and male factor
Acupuncture can improve sperm count, quality and motility. Another 2005 study reported that acupuncture treatment was associated with fewer structurally abnormal sperm, and an increase in the number of normal sperm. Acupuncture can regulate stress hormones and improve circulation which may explain some of its impacts on male factor fertility.
What happens on the first visit
During the first acupuncture visit you’ll receive a TCM assessment which includes a review of your case, as well as a traditional chinese medicine analysis of your needs. After assessment, treatment is applied which includes the gentle insertion of needles at highly specific acupoints individualized to your case. TDP heat lamps are provided for comfort and to improve circulation and in some cases e-stimulation is added to the needles depending on patient needs and preferences.
The needles are left in while relaxing music or guided meditations are played for around 20-30 minutes. Most patients find this experience highly pleasant and relaxing. Once acupuncture has been completed, many patients feel a sense of deep relaxation due to its impacts on the nervous system.
Located Centrally In Toronto we offer a Clean, modern treatment facility and a relaxing environment.
Our clinic is located centrally in North York, Toronto close to the Don Valley Parkway and 401 highways. Our clinic facility is modern and clean, we use high quality acupuncture supplies and sanitize all surfaces between each patient. Our rooms offer heated, comfortable acupuncture tables, warm TDP lamps and relaxing music.
Frequently asked questions
Can acupuncture really help with fertility?
Acupuncture is one of the most popular natural treatments for fertility and has been practiced for thousands of years in China for this purpose. Even though it has a long traditional history of success for fertility, acupuncture has also been researched and studied to learn more about is mechanisms and how it works. Acupuncture likely supports fertility primarily through effects on circulation, the nervous system and the hormonal system.
Can acupuncture help you get pregnant naturally?
Acupuncture can support natural fertility health in many ways. In some cases it can be all that is needed to support patients who are trying to conceive!
Can acupuncture bring on ovulation?
Acupuncture can help ovulation by regulating hormones and the function of the ovary. Multiple studies in particular by Dr. Elizabet Stener Victorin have investigated the efficacy around electroacupuncture and its ability to trigger ovulation.
When should you get acupuncture for fertility?
In general, acupuncture is completed once or twice per week for fertility for a series of 8 treatments. Some patients need more treatment than this if they have a more significant fertility concern. For our patients undergoing IVF and IUI cycles follow specific protocols to support fertility during certain times of the cycle.
Patients with PCOS who are looking to trigger ovulation with acupuncture often get treatment 2 times weekly in the phase of the cycle before ovuation.
How many sessions of acupuncture do you need for fertility?
Most patients need at least 8 treatments of acupuncture to support fertility health. In some cases, more treatments can be beneficial in order to improve specific concerns.
Is Fertility acupuncture painful?
Try Acupuncture for Fertility with White Lotus Clinic.
Fertility acupuncture is typically not painful and most patients report that they are surprised at how pleasant and relaxing the treatment experience is. There may be a minor pinch as the needles are place but in most cases no pain is experienced at all. Once the needles are in place there is no pain and most patients find this part of the treatment exceptionally enjoyable and relaxing! We talk about this in depth on main acupuncture page if you'd like to know more.
- Edson Gurfinkel, Agnaldo P. Cedenho, Ysao Yamamura, Miguel Srougi Effects of acupuncture and moxa treatment in patients with semen abnormalities Asian J Androl 2003 Dec; 5: 345-348
- E Manheimer, G Zhang, L Udoff, A Haramati P … – Effects of acupuncture on rates of pregnancy and live birth among women undergoing in vitro fertilisation: systematic review and meta-analysis BMJ: British Medical Journal, 2008
- Paulus WE, Zhang M, Strehler E, El-Danasouri I, Sterzik K. 2002. Influence of acupuncture on the pregnancy rate in patients who undergo assisted reproduction therapy. Fertil Steril, 77(4):721-4
- J . Pei , E . Strehler , U . Noss , M . Abt , P . Piomboni , B . Baccetti , K . Sterzik Quantitative evaluation of spermatozoa ultrastructure after acupuncture treatment for idiopathic male infertility. Fertility and Sterility , Volume 84 , Issue 1 , Pages 141 – 147
- Siterman S, Eltes F, Wolfson V, Lederman H, Bartoov B. 2000. Does acupuncture treatment affect sperm density in males with very low sperm count? A pilot study. Andrologia, 32(1):31-9
- Siterman S, Eltes F, Wolfson V, Zabludovsky N, Bartoov B. 1997. Effect of acupuncture on sperm parameters of males suffering from subfertility related to low sperm quality. Arch Androl, 39(2):155-61
- Zhang Mingmin, Huang Guangying, Lu Fuer, W. E. Paulus and K. Sterzik Influence of acupuncture on idiopathic male infertility in assisted reproductive technology J Huazhong Univ Sci Technolog Med Sci, 2002
- Schroeder S, Burnis J, Denton A, Krasnow A, Raghu TS, Mathis K. Effectiveness of Acupuncture Therapy on Stress in a Large Urban College Population. J Acupunct Meridian Stud. 2017 Jun;10(3):165-170. doi: 10.1016/j.jams.2017.01.002.
- Benrick A, Kokosar M, Hu M, Larsson M, Maliqueo M, Marcondes RR, Soligo M, Protto V, Jerlhag E, Sazonova A, Behre CJ, Højlund K, Thorén P, Stener-Victorin E. Autonomic nervous system activation mediates the increase in whole-body glucose uptake in response to electroacupuncture. FASEB J. 2017 Aug;31(8):3288-3297. doi: 10.1096/fj.201601381R. Epub 2017 Apr 12. PMID: 28404742.